PDA

View Full Version : Video: Weird Behaviour? Are they fighting?

BrownBullhead
03-04-2007, 12:30 AM
What is this behaviour my Synodontis Lucipinnis (a.k.a. "Dwarf Petricola") are doing here? Are they fighting? I have about 20 of these guys in my 150-gallon. All are approximately two inches total length each. I've lost about 5 in the last week… where at first I thought it may have been due to my "overhaul" of my tank (see http://www.trophs.com/index.php?showtopic=260) I am now wondering if they are killing each other? Any feedback, Synodontis keepers?

Please watch my video clip at the below URL…

Video: Weird Behaviour? Are they fighting? re: Synodontis Lucipinnis (a.k.a. "Dwarf Petricola") (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqySKM8QlfI)

Gerry
03-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Sparring males. My petricolas did the very same thing, especially when one of the females was fertile.

hazard
03-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Some observations I have made of my petros. I have my spawning group in a 15g which consists of 17 adult petros and a trio of baenshci peacocks. I have only lost one petro in the year they have been in this tank. I have noticed they hate tap water. They freak out. Bang into the glass. Even if I use dechlorinator. Once I noticed this I started using aged water on all the petro tanks. Adults and fry. With you changing so much water volume they might of gotten some side effect from it. I have never noticed any sparring to the death with these guys.

Chris

Gerry
03-04-2007, 11:52 AM
You have 20 adult fish in a 15 gallon tank?

hazard
03-04-2007, 12:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NorthShore @ Mar 4 2007, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=2327)</div>You have 20 adult fish in a 15 gallon tank?[/b]

I have 17 in a 15g. It sounds excessive but it works. I have tried pairs, quads and other variations. The tank setup that I am using now has been working for a year now. I do 30% water changes twice a week on the tank. This tank has probably produced a few thousand eggs. I probably killed the first 1000 or so before I figured out how to raise the fry.

Chris

darthvader4bwu
03-04-2007, 03:13 PM
My multipunctatus do it all of the time and i believe that's it 2 males sparring.